Governor’s School for the Arts
This $6.8 million project began in 2007 as a comprehensive preplanning study. Renovation to the 1915 building began in 2012 and included exterior repairs and complete interior renovations, including demolition and abatement of hazardous materials, configuration of spaces, preservation of historic material on the condemned 5th and 6th floors, structural repairs, and new and/or modified plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and fire-protection systems.
The 53,000 SF in spaces include dance studios; classrooms; computer lab; theatre (black box); offices, rehearsal spaces; wood shop; painting, printmaking, and sculpture studios; and a small library. Federal and state historic tax credits effectively reduced the final project cost by approximately 38 percent. Completed in 2014.
Winner, HRACRE (Hampton Roads Associate for Commercial Real Estate) Award, Best Renovation/Historic Rehabilitation, 2014.